How we price our doors
We used to spend a lot of time and energy comparing our door prices to Ikea’s, thousands of words stacked neatly alongside colorful graphs and charts and anything else we figured best conveyed the idea that a (much) smaller company like Semihandmade could (somehow) offer pricing that falls consistently within spitting-distance of a company the size of Ikea. Funny, right? Thankfully, we don’t bother anymore. As we’ve learned, comparing yourself to Ikea is like going toe-to-toe with Amazon; you can’t. So we don’t.
That in mind, here’s a list of what makes Semihandmade doors special, unique, and perfectly suited for your dream Ikea kitchen, bathroom, closet or media cabinet (and yeah, maybe even different from Ikea’s):
1) Semihandmade doors are proudly made in the USA. Maybe that matters to you, maybe it doesn’t (to us it does). Sure, we could make them overseas; they’d definitely be a lot less expensive. That’s not a dig at Ikea, it’s economics, and they’re the biggest and best furniture retailer on the planet for a reason.
2) Being small and nimble, Semihandmade has a lot more material options than Ikea does, some like our signature Walnut real wood veneer and Reclaimed Oak that are totally one-of-a-kind (also not a swipe at Ikea; when you’re Apple- or Nike-big, it’s never a good idea to get overly cute with the selections).
3) Semihandmade offers things like appliance panels in custom sizes that Ikea can’t and doesn’t (outside of a standard dishwasher panel). Think Bosch and Fisher Paykel and Sub-Zero.
4) Other Semihandmade upgrades include open bookcases and floating shelves (a bunch that match some of our most popular doors).
5) We pride ourselves on world-class Customer Service (even if we’re coming to you from Duarte, CA) – we’re here, we’re accessible, we’re never far from Social Media, and if you’re paying close attention you may actually bump into the guy that started the company on Instagram or at a design show or answering a question at firstname.lastname@example.org.