At Semihandmade, we're all about one-of-a-kind IKEA doors.
Unfortunately, that customization comes at a cost; doors from one job can't be mixed with drawer faces from another. Also, because we're cutting your parts in a sequence that requires continuous grain alignment - and that alignment can vary from one 4' x 8' sheet to the next - there tends to be to a lot of waste.
We hate that. Sure, some of the material we donate to the local high school, and some is used for developing new products. But most just collects dust in corners!
Reclaim. Recycle. Re-use. Redo!
The concept is simple: we're crafting Semihandmade doors, panels, tops and drawer faces out of extra material and marrying them with a few inexpensive IKEA kitchen cabinets to create unique bookcases, hanging cabinets, credenzas and media centers. Note: any IKEA cabinet will do, but the three listed below we find most versatile. The only limits are your room's size, your budget and your imagination!
Best of all, because everything is made from off-cuts, we're able to pass the savings along to you.
HOW TO GET STARTED
1) Using IKEA cabinets AK WFR (multiple sizes/white or birch), AK W1 (multiple sizes/white or birch) and AK WH (multiple sizes/white or birch) as building blocks, figure out a configuration that works best for you. Any IKEA cabinet works, but we prefer these there. There are no best/right answers here, people. Just have fun!
2) Purchase the cabinets, hinges/hardware and optional hanging rail from IKEA (if you're using wall cabinets) but not their doors.
3) Select Semihandmade panels, tops, doors and drawer faces. Material choices include everything offered in our kitchens and bathrooms, plus a few special ones like powder coated, recycled milk jugs, wine barrels, and photo prints!
4) Add door/drawer pulls, legs and feet for even further customization.
5) Assemble everything and decide what to Redo next!
For a collection of Redo projects to inspire you, click here.